Thursday, January 30, 2014

Time to update this part of the world wide web...

Ugh... has it been that long since my last update? Gotta take in more of that self discipline! Let's just fast forward from early 2013 to this moment, shall we?

Back in 2010 I was asked to make this diorama featuring Darth Malgus and Jedi Master Ven Zallow. Apparently, I did something right, because right now I am working on my fourth commissioned Ven Zallow. Normally, I don't revisit or redo past customs, but this character has really grown on me. The second version (2012) was a slight improvement of the first one:


At this moment the third version is still in transit, on his way to his new owner. This one was very different from the first two and even more fun to work on. The client asked me to focus mainly on this reference picture:


While some parts remained the same, a lot of sculpting went into this third version of Ven. Improving your customzing skills is done by actually practising it and this is all the more true when it comes to sculpting. I'd like to think I actually have improved my sculpting skills, but you be the judge of that:





Parts used:
- Resolute Duke: head, resculpted the hair
- ROC Duke in RIA suit: upper body, upper arms. Custom made chest belt, sculpted device
- ROC Ripcord in RIA suit: shoulder armour (connects with neo magnets), lower arms (sculpted gauntlets), hands
- 25th Destro Iron Grenadier: lower body, sculpted armour
- 25th Zartan: upper legs, sculpted armour
- Cobra Commander in Battle Armour: knees
- 25th Wraith: lower legs, feet
- Order 66 Mace Windu: cloak w/shortened sleeves

- lightsaber from the parts bin, blade and hilt connect with neo magnets

Like I mentioned above, I have started on the fourth version of this awesome character. It's such a shame Hasbro didn't make him so we could pit him against Darth Malgus.

That's it for now, stay tuned for another recently finished custom, which is one of my favourite species: the Twi'lek!

No comments:

Post a Comment